Located in St. Mary's County, Lawton Hall Farm is situated on the northern banks of the Potomac River, about one mile from St Clement's Island. This island holds the distinction as being the spot where, in 1637, English colonists first set foot on what they would later call Maryland.
In 1999 we planted three acres of Vidal Blanc and Chambourcin, and in 2001 we added a one-quarter acre experimental planting of several hybrid and vinifera varieties. Future plans allow for up to an additional 15 acres to be planted.
We purchased our farm (which sounds better that 'bought the farm') in 1993, and for several years lived in a small 1920's era four-room un-insulated tennant house while we built a new home, horse barn, pastures and - of course - the vineyard. We have four horses, a goat (that's a long story), about ten acres in hay and pastures, with the remainder of the fields planted in corn, soybeans and assorted small grains.